Menu
white183a
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Avoid if a Council Tenant in Southampton

Had Slow then No BT Broadband for many many weeks, so left BT and signed up for Virgin. Told OK Fast Broadband at my Post Code. Told all be running on 9th Nov.
Miserable Engineer came, Can't Do , No Cables. Put me onto stressed manager. They can't Install till New Year, need Council Permission and Sub Contractor. Spoke to Condescending Girl at Customer Service after waiting ages. Long and Short I Cancelled. Southampton Council Flats are not wired for Fibre. Forced now to Just use Mobile Data on O2. Given up on Broadband. Virgin as Useless as BT.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Avoid if a Council Tenant in Southampton

What they mean by council permission is that the council will have to issue a work permit to allow VM's subcontractor to dig the road/pavement to alter their ducting. Nothing to do with you being a council tenant. People in private houses can have the same issue. VM having a seperate ducting infrastructure means they are not reliant on BT for fast broadband, but if you are not prepared to wait. Well, thats your decision.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

white183a
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin had 8 weeks to arrange and do this work. Truth is Council Estates in Southampton are not ready for fast fibre broadband. Virgin Sales make promises they can't keep just to get business. No body told me about this. I am not waiting another 12 weeks.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Its not uncommon for councils to take 3 months to issue permits for telecoms work, as telecoms companies do not get priority like other services. The Government were looking into this a while ago, but you know what slowcoaches they are for taking action.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I reckon it's easier to just avoid Southampton.    Smiley LOL

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos