Menu
crofty83
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Are engineers trained to look out for and report pirate boxes?

Hi folks.

I was listening to a conversation the other day and with the introduction of the new 'Get it Right' campaign, it got me thinking. Are VM engineers educated on these pirate boxes, whether they be the Android boxes or third party set top boxes which can be used to obtain pay for tv without a subscription and encouraged to report such devices should they be seen when visiting customers houses?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are engineers trained to look out for and report pirate boxes?

Any potential pirate box would have to be DVB-C compatible, & designed to work with the UK TV system, which mainland Europe/American ones won't . There was a company selling boxes that could have allowed illegal access a while ago, but they are now thankfully no longer in business. VM's biggest problem is their own boxes that are sold on & not returned/disposed of. These boxes will not work if connected to the network, but people will blindly buy them expecting that they will. 

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
crofty83
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Such boxes still exist though and are used in the UK for both cable and satellite. If an engineer on a call out was to spot one, are they required by VM to report such things?
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

crofty83 wrote:
Such boxes still exist though and are used in the UK for both cable and satellite. If an engineer on a call out was to spot one, are they required by VM to report such things?

The lack of communication within VM is legendary.  I can't see it happening.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As an aside my tv has abuilt in DVB-C tuner and used to be able to pickup and show some cable channels. I haven't checked recently but when I did a test a few years ago it managed to display some of the 'free' channels such as BBC and ITV etc. everything else came up as encrypted including BBC HD.

It also has a slot for some sort of card, presumably for decryption.

Anyway no idea what the status is now and if all channels are now encrypted.

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

now virgin media use there network now they do not use viewing cards they use box mac adrease and they locect the box now and its via your account and were you live it will be hard now for pirate boxes thats why they changed how they run now soon they will get rid of the viewing cards on vm network i don't think vm will say anything to sky about the there side to brack down the pirate boxes use.

Using VIVID 200 Gamer Optical Fibre, Full House TV, Talk More Anytime

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

As an aside my tv has abuilt in DVB-C tuner and used to be able to pickup and show some cable channels. I haven't checked recently but when I did a test a few years ago it managed to display some of the 'free' channels such as BBC and ITV etc. everything else came up as encrypted including BBC HD.

It also has a slot for some sort of card, presumably for decryption.

Anyway no idea what the status is now and if all channels are now encrypted.

There was a rule from OFCOM that all PSB channels had to be unscrambled, even on closed systems like VM. Not sure it is still in force. All VM's TiVOs & V6's are now cardless, with the CAM accessing Virgin's servers every time they are switched on to obtain access codes.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

crofty83 wrote:

Hi folks.

I was listening to a conversation the other day and with the introduction of the new 'Get it Right' campaign, it got me thinking. Are VM engineers educated on these pirate boxes, whether they be the Android boxes or third party set top boxes which can be used to obtain pay for tv without a subscription and encouraged to report such devices should they be seen when visiting customers houses?

If you are referring to XBMC/Kodi boxes, the software (which can also be installed on PC's running Windows, Linux and Android, as well as devices such as the Raspberry Pi and IOS devices) is perfectly legitimate.

A straightforward Android TV box with a plain version of Kodi would not fall foul of trading standards because it can be used to access subscription services such as Netflix, Now TV or Amazon Prime.

It's only when "unofficial" software add-on's which allow streaming of copyright content are also installed that they become (potentially) illegal.

Unless the devices are actually in use when an engineer attends there is no way for them to determine if they are being used illegally. Merely having such a device is not proof that it is being used illegally. (E.G. having a car which is capable of exceeding the speed limit is not proof that the driver has actually been speeding.)

It's not a VM engineers place (or anyone else for that matter) to make unfounded allegations against a user of such equipment, and they should not have to. 

It's down to Fact: The Federation Against Copyright Theft to prosecute, either the providers of the software add-on's and/or the retailers of "full loaded" Kodi boxes, or the people uploading files and the websites hosting them.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
crofty83
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What about STBs such as the Zgemma's?
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

crofty83 wrote:
What about STBs such as the Zgemma's?

From the Zgemma site,  http://www.zgemma.co.uk

The products offered can not be used to descramble or otherwise enable access to cable or satellite television programs that bypasses payment to the service provider. Receiving subscription/based TV airtime is ILLEGAL without paying for it, It is also ILLEGAL to connect this box to equipment you do not hold unless authorised by the owner, Buying this item means you understand the terms and conditions above, We do not provide At any cost Support or help For any Third party firmware, our support is for the hardware and free to air (FTA) only.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos