Menu
Mikerandleslfc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Any advice please

I was due to get my Virgin broadband and TV installed yesterday and when they didn't show I phoned up to find out they needed to reschedule my installation because when they came to do pre installation there was a car parked in the way!! Instead of knocking on doors to get car moved they just left the job!!! And now they say the next available date is the 16th of Feb!! I can't wait that long I have no internet or TV. Does anyone have any advise on how to get my installation moved forward? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Any advice please

Largely the drop point is on the pavement? Little manhole with a CATV sign on it?

So I dont get how cars parked would make a difference, unless they were parked on the pavement?

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Largely the drop point is on the pavement? Little manhole with a CATV sign on it?

So I dont get how cars parked would make a difference, unless they were parked on the pavement?

Mikerandleslfc
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm guessing so mate. I find it crazy that they didn't knock to find out who's the car was and to get it moved. I would be enjoying my virgin to now if they did. Any advise for me?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I can give you an explanation, but you'll likely not like it. Touches on a bugbear of mine though so lets go for it.

The engineers are booked into a time slot, usually 15 mins for a fix or or more for an install. Any hassle when they turn up eats in to that and if they are late leaving that job, they are late to the next job etc etc until the last job or so gets pushed beyond the working day. At which point they get MORE irate punters. So turn up, cant access the drop point do they spend 30 mins knocking doors to (maybe) find the owner and get it moved or go onto the next one?

Personally as I despise idiots who park on the pavement, forcing those with mobility issues, the visually impaired or people with buggies to take their life in their hands going into the road, Id issue the engineers with blasting charges. But that's KIND of illegal.

Best way forward is to phone in in the AM and see if there's a cancellation available. And get the pavement parking idiots towed.

Mikerandleslfc
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I agree with the pavement parking idiots haha. But I'm not suffering because I don't have any internet or TV to watch. I've spoke to Virgin a few times and got nowhere. They have escellated my problem and gave me a reference number and told me I should expect a phone call back either today (they haven't called) or tomorrow regarding my issue.

I'm not holding my breath tho haha.
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mikerandleslfc wrote:

I was due to get my Virgin broadband and TV installed yesterday and when they didn't show I phoned up to find out they needed to reschedule my installation because when they came to do pre installation there was a car parked in the way!! Instead of knocking on doors to get car moved they just left the job!!! And now they say the next available date is the 16th of Feb!! I can't wait that long I have no internet or TV. Does anyone have any advise on how to get my installation moved forward? 

Surely the engineers should have knocked on your door at the very least, to let you know they had actually turned up?

They could then have explained how they were unable to proceed with your work due to a parked car blocking them and asked you to reschedule your appointment. If you were not available then a card put through your door confirming their attendance would seem to be a reasonable thing for them to do. The Post Office, delivery companies, meter readers etc. all do this, why not VM and their contractors?

Doing this would take less time than was actually allocated for the work, you would have been made aware of the situation and they would be early for the next appointment. Win-win situation!  

It would also avoid the possibility that nobody actually attended and they just said that they did (running late/having coffee/couldn't be bothered/wanted an early finish), with no proof of attendance required.

Every system is open to abuse, but no system at all is just asking for it.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Mikerandleslfc
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Exactly I said to them on the phone they should have knocked at him house and I would have knocked around and got the car moved myself! I waited in all day and only found out what had happened when I phoned up.

Not a good look for Virgin when I haven't even started with them yet!

I had sky before I signed up to Virgin and I've still got the boxes and hub here I just need to phone up and get it switched back on but I want to give Virgin a chance
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeah whilst my explanation was meant to be exactly that, an explanation , not a justification, Mr Solobo for all his traditional negativity hits on some good points there.

Im minded of one of those trite expressions that actually holds some truth- "A failure to plan is a plan to fail"

When we got mains gas in umpteen years ago, they turned up the day before and coned off the work area, took all of 5 minutes. But then they KNEW engineers weren't being sent to a job they had no chance of completing.

The advice stands= best way of getting the install moved up is to phone in and see if a cancellation is available. But the point that this could have been avoided is indeed something VM should take on board.

Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies, thanks for the mention.

I never realised (until now) that I am regarded as being "traditionally negative", I actually thought I was providing "constructive criticism". Smiley Wink It just shows how perceptions differ.

Sadly if effective support was provided by official VM staff on this forum, and in a timely manner, there would be no need for either you or I to be posting at all.

By the by, and for future reference, my Forum identity is Sololobo.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sololobo wrote:

Hi Kippies, thanks for the mention.

I never realised (until now) that I am regarded as being "traditionally negative", I actually thought I was providing "constructive criticism". Smiley Wink It just shows how perceptions differ.

By the by, and for future reference, my Forum identity is Sololobo.

Now come on, you know we love you Sololobo (see I got it right - Eventually Smiley Embarassed)

Actually I would agree I probably did you a disservice on that.

For the record my statement that Sololobo is traditionally negative was unkind as (mostly) his/her statements are from a place of anticipation of improvement in VM's products and services.

Angel.gif~c200.gif

0 Kudos