Menu
wiltsm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Am I doing the right thing joining Virgin media

I have not had a good start with VM since agreeing to move from Sky. I requested and engineer visit to assess the routing of cables as I did not want cables all over the house. Twice the engineer failed to show up costing me two days holiday (VM customers services told me I asked for the wrong type of visit). On the third occasion he arrived and gave me cable to install myself as they would not do what I wanted. I have laid the cable through the house and less than 24 hours before installation they cancelled my install due to no external cable route to my house (another days holiday lost), requiring civil engineering work to be carried dispute the engineer saying everything was in order on his visit.

I have now lost my Sky TV and have to wait up 6 weeks for Virgin to be installed.

Its been an awful start will it get better or am I better off cutting my losses and going back to sky.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Am I doing the right thing joining Virgin media

Speaking from personal experience, I had a horrible joining experience from VM. From my first join attempt going horribly wrong due a Indian mistyping my surname. Which I noticed after receiving the first letter from VM. So I called in and asked for it to be corrected, they didn't make the correction across the board. So with the billing details using the wrong surname, the bank rejected the VM DD instruction and VM cancelled my install. A further attempt to advance it lead to sales agents saying I could only get a phone line with VM, no BB or TV. I didn't know any better then, but now I know how clueless they were. The agents then refused to progress the sign up. I then had to sign up via the cable my street process who got a local VM sales agent out to help me. I now have my broadband only deal that I wanted from day one.

So all in all, sign up experiences can go horribly wrong. I know that mine did. However, I am very happy with the broadband service, the community here, love the fact they offer a loyalty discount etc and I get to be involved with kit trials sometimes (yay.) I wouldn't go with any other ISP.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

However, I am very happy with the broadband service, the community here, love the fact they offer a loyalty discount etc and I get to be involved with kit trials sometimes (yay.) I wouldn't go with any other ISP.

How does one get this 'loyalty discount', because I've never been offered it?

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My cable installation was shambolic to say the least, and I was already a VM customer on their old ADSL service.  It took two months, numerous emails and phone calls, and several cancelled visits to finally get a cable pulled to my property.  The installation was very untidy and I've still got cables tacked to the side of my property despite a VM site engineer promising me they could be routed out of sight under the eaves.

Bottom line, despite all that agro, I have a solid 50mbps connection that consistently speed-tests at 54 and I'm very happy with the broadband service.  If only VM would employ better installers.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

Shelke wrote:

However, I am very happy with the broadband service, the community here, love the fact they offer a loyalty discount etc and I get to be involved with kit trials sometimes (yay.) I wouldn't go with any other ISP.

How does one get this 'loyalty discount', because I've never been offered it?

Call in (150 or 0345 454 1111), enter the main menu -> option 4 -> option 5. The amount you get will depend on which level of services you have etc. I have L tier broadband only and they applied a £7 a month discount which will last for 18 months, but recontracted me for 12 months - which doesn't bother me as I have no plans to move any time soon. And even if I do move in the coming years, it'd be to another area which has VM servicing it.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sympathies!! Experience shows that when things go wrong, they go badly wrong!

I have been with VM for years after they took over from the company that took over from the company etc.. and conclude that if you are in a high usage area which has been cabled up AND you want bog standard setup, you will probably be ok. But you also have to be aware that sales is sales and no two people working in the call centres ever give the same answer! Which means that for new customers,  they are at a disadvantage right from the off. You have to keep records- make notes of when who and what you wanted and what was said

wiltsm wrote:

I have not had a good start with VM since agreeing to move from Sky. I requested and engineer visit to assess the routing of cables as I did not want cables all over the house. Twice the engineer failed to show up costing me two days holiday (VM customers services told me I asked for the wrong type of visit). On the third occasion he arrived and gave me cable to install myself as they would not do what I wanted. 

I do agree with others who have said that in general, its good, once you get over all the hassle!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi wiltsm

Yep I appreciate you've had a bumpy start with us and I understand you want to get this sorted out straight away and connected so things get back to normal for you at home.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this, and for joining us on the forums.

I can see from your account that one of our complaints team is managing this for you too, and that you have spoken to them this week regarding the situation, but that you are okay with them taking point on this to support you.

Please keep us posted if you need us to look into anything on your behalf too.

Best of luck with the connection and take care Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
mattysp911
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Run for the hills and get an ISP that can provide service down your phone line, If my experience is anything to go by that 6 week wait is a low ball estimate, I'm one week off two months from original install date ( that failed just like yours ) and just like yours requires civil engineering work.

I'm now two weeks away from returning to BT on a long term contract instead of the rolling monthly higher cost one that I'm stuck in until virgin get things together and that looks less and less likely as every week goes by with no update from virgin without my prompting calls and even them don't have information of any consequence as to when they will install.

wiltsm
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

May well be running to the hills, civil engineering work has been completed in quick time but now it broken promise after broken promise waiting for the engineer to arrive to install the cabling. Have been told he will be with me later today everyday since Tuesday but no one has showed up. Just don't know why they can't be honest on the day when the engineer will arrive instead of telling what they think I want to hear. 

Going to sign back up with Sky.

Catherine88
Dialled in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

We joined VM in 1995 when it was United Artists and naturally as they were just starting out you got that 'personal' service.  We have had issues along the way with some frustrations and issues, but you know what, the grass is not always greener anywhere else.  VM provides us with certain features that the others don't offer, so we've been happy to stay despite the occasional niggle.  Our biggest bugbear is talking to India, they just speak off a script, repeating the same solution time and time again.  They don't understand the equipment or set-up that you have so how can you expect them to solve anything.  We end up sorting most things ourselves and internet connection disruptions are usually best left until the service is restored.  Whereas the call centres in India have you unplugging stuff, rebooting etc. when it's not necessary. 

We've got used to that now, so we just leave it. 

Catherine