Menu
Accesrights-1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Access

Hi, many years ago a VM box was placed outside of my parents house without any consent given. They own this house then as well as now. My mother has had to retire from work due to ill health and now classed as disabled. Without going into all of her health problems ultimately she is unable to walk any distance. Therefore it is important that my dad can park his car on his driveway but he is unable to do so because of this badly placed VM green box. Literally the box needs to be moved 6incs to the left so their private driveway can be accessed for my mother. We have rang Virgin and been quoted a very high cost for this box to be moved. Surely it is not right they can obstruct a private property access and then ask for payment to move it. Does anyone have any advices how this can be resolved?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
escuzeme
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Access

My advice would be to seek legal help. Ask for a free consultation with a solicitor, ask them if they agree there is a problem and whether they could sort it out, or how you should sort it out,  but dont forget to ask how expensive it would be to bring such a case to a conclusion if it went to court. You might also want to show photographs to the council and get a council surveyor to see whether it contravenes any planning permissions or bye-laws. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"VM box is directly outside their land"

Key word there. "OUTSIDE THERI LAND" so its council land and the council gave permission for it. Nothing illegal here.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

to attach a picture using the reply (not quick reply) and click on the photo button on the tool bar of the edit window. then click choose file and attach the image from the computer.

0 Kudos
Accesrights-1
Tuning in
Message 21 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think I’ve attached the photo in my profile? Can you see them?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 30 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

that changes things a lot. In that case it will be the council you will need to speed to for giving permission.

one of 2 things happened.

1) The drive was never there but the access rights were and the curd was already lowered for a drive and you should of had a drive there but someone turned it into a garden

2) the drive was put in With planning permission after the VM ox and the council permission for the drive to be there accepted the location of the box as part of the permission.

i think now, Looking at the old street view you will have a hard time getting it move.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 32 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you should be able to request the information you want from the council. I think its now out of VM hands until you right with the council. The council gave permission for its placement and VM did as was granted, If the council granted the permission and shouldn't have then you need to take that up with the council.

If Vm installed it in the wrong place the council need to contact VM to correct it. But i suspect that you will get no where, the road outside your home if belongs to the council so yes if it is not on the deeds as access they can allow anything to be installed outside.

this will come down to how the lowered curb permission was granted. Its possible it was done and the council never granted any kind of access rights.

All Replies
escuzeme
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My advice would be to seek legal help. Ask for a free consultation with a solicitor, ask them if they agree there is a problem and whether they could sort it out, or how you should sort it out,  but dont forget to ask how expensive it would be to bring such a case to a conclusion if it went to court. You might also want to show photographs to the council and get a council surveyor to see whether it contravenes any planning permissions or bye-laws. 

Accesrights-1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Escuzeme for your response. I am hoping common sense may aid this situation. If not, then regrettably then it may require legal support. You make very good points with the council surveyor. I hadn’t considered this.
0 Kudos
escuzeme
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Another thought struck me, regarding this situation, and that is you might talk to a TV watchdog program, because although a few thousand pounds to move a box might seem a great deal of money to you, it is chump change to a global corporation. Maybe a TV watchdog program or something similar might embarrass them enough to do something about it in the interests of good relations. My missus is good at sorting out problems with corporations. She researches for hours on how to contact the actual managing director of a company and writes a letter to them or an email. She is always succinct and to the point, and merely explains the situation and asks if they would please help as their staff seem reluctant to do so. It usually works

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

the problem witgh moving a box when it is in use is it take take down the network for the area. Other people might not be happy at losing service.

The boc move may also mean everyone needs cable repulls to reach the new location and that again would involve the cost and time to be moved.

If it was given planning permission and it not blocking the drive its unlikely VM will move it. How is it blocking the drive its hard to judge without any pictures. Can you post a picture of the box location and people might be able to advice.
Accesrights-1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I will post a picture in the next day or two when I next visit my parents but do know for sure that no-one was affected by cables when VM placed the box there and therefore a love by 6 inchs shouldn’t require it to disrupte the neighbours etc. Generally it was a real silly decision made by them sometime ago to place it there. There are several places which would not impact a private property and a drive way. I would appreciate your views once I post the picture. Kind regards
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

if you can;t get a picture if its been there a while Google street view should have it to safe you a trip to take the photo
0 Kudos
Accesrights-1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I would love the opportunity not to involve a anothe media company and hopefully a large media company like Virgin wouldn’t want too either but you do make a very valid point. How can a multi million pound company take this act and then hope to profit from there error. I would love to see how VM managing director or Richard Branson would react if another
Company or myself blocked their private drives with a VM box. The house was made and brought for many many many years and decades before Virgin even became a company and the take this step. I cannot figure it out 🤔
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

does the drive have a lowered curb? is the box in line with the lowered curb or at the side?
0 Kudos
Accesrights-1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I will get the picture. I just need to pop over and get it while not working during the day. Give me a day or so and I will have it. You will see...the box needs moving 6 inch’s or so to the left...maybe even a
Smaller box may do it.
0 Kudos