Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
islandblue

very slow broadband

hi

i just had virgin broadband activated on wednesday. my download speeds have been very slow since.

i'm getting about 0.7 mb/s  in the evenings  and about 1.5mb/s in the morning. The local telephone exchange is also right next to my house so i though i would get a decent speed. my parents are on bt broadband and they get about 6 mb/s in the evening and they live further away from the exchange. 

any help would be appreciated

thanks

james

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
islandblue

Re: very slow broadband

tonights speed.  :-(

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
islandblue

also its not my computer as the speed is exactly the same on my phones speedtest.net app.

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Tristram_G

Hi islandblue

If your INternet connection is within the first 10 days of activation you should see the connection speed vary over the course of those ten and and unfortunately we're unable to raise a slow speed fault until after the ten day period.

I've sent to your virgin media inbox the slow speed diagnostics so that you can take a look at it and if you're still getting a slow connection after the first ten days, if you could run through the email and if the connection speed hasn't improved give us a call so that we can raise a fault and investigate the cause of the slow speed.

Tristram Griffiths
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
islandblue

if it gets faster after the 10 days i'll eat my hat. throttling going on i think.  should have gone to bt. :-(

Please use plain text.
Wizard
ezay

Hello Islandblue,

The speeds will vary in the first 10 days to get the maxmium speed your line can handle while maintaining a stable connection. If this speed goes to high then this could cause an intermittent connection.

You can check the speeds your line can handle on www.samknows.co.uk

Thanks,

Ezay

All views expressed by me on this forum are my own, and do not in any way reflect the views of Virgin Media.
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
knowntobe

Islandblue, you should of gone to BT. My first 10 days were just like yours, and contined, now its 2 months later and its still the same. Just been told Im being traffic managed due to high volumne downloading, despite rarely downloading anything. Had the same **bleep** speeds since I signed up.

Cancel while you can, leaving it longer makes it harder to get out the contract, which is why they keep fobbing you off.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
slowbrighton

Virgin have completely lost hold of the Brighton cuatomer base. The service is TERRIBLE. Complaints are flooding in, and fobbed off with pathetic excuses.

BTW, XBOX live is NOT a PTP service that needs to be limited due to terms od use infringement. It is a premium gaming service that needs the same Quality of Service as your TV service. Do you see the keyword?

QoS !!!! I'm not unaware of how networks operate.

Just sort it out, or lose business.

Please use plain text.
Boffin
Ian_H

Hi slowbrighton

The   issue  concerning  X-Box / console traffic being seen  as PTP traffic  has already  been resolved.
If  you are facing slow speed then that is down to an entirely different  reason.

If  you feel that it is not the case and we are still treating it  as PTP please can you supply your evidence so we can investigate.

Regards.

Ian
Help & Support forum team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
cannyman

My Broad band has been slow for weeks. I keep getting the spinning circlw when I try to load a new tab. It's getting on my nerves as I supplement my works pension on the net and it's costing me money.

Please use plain text.