Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Brainbox
knowntobe

Slow broadband in peak times

Since I have been posting in everyone elses thread I thought I would start my own.

The problem I have is at "peak" time every day my broadband speed goes from a steady 6.5+mb to around .5mb every single day.

I have been with Virgin since the 25th so am now past the 10 day settling in period

I have turned my router off and on, as suggested, for 15 minutes 2-3 times a day for 4 days

I do NOT have any programs downloading in the background

I do NOT have any viruses or spyware

I HAVE changed the filter

I HAVE plugged the router directly into the test socket

and I HAVE been tracking my speeds via this page I made http://www.mydoor.co.uk/Virgin_Media_Test.htm

Aaron_G asked me to PM him so I did, but 5 days now with no reply.

I would like to know what Virgin are going to do about this as I live in a cluster of about 40-50 properties, less than half use the internet, and Im 2 miles from the nearest town, so I dont accept any excuses of it being oversubscribed, and even if it is, you need to fix it.

This issue is constant, every day, during Virgins own "peak" times. Its not random. I am able to do things like watch Skyplayer off peak but as soon as on peak arrives, it buffers every 5 seconds or there abouts.

Im paying for the XL package, and while I dont expect to get 20mb downloads, I do expect to get constant speed, all day i.e. the 6.5ish I get off peak.

Looking forward to a constructive reply :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
knowntobe

Re: Slow broadband in peak times

additional note, warcraft latency is terrible. since theres 3 of us playing/paying for WOW each month this is a HUGE issues. Especially with the expansion released yesterday.

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Mathew_W

Hi knowntobe,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the connection during peak times. It would suggest that it is down to network traffic but it does seem to be a massive drop in speed.

If you can PM your account details, name, address, acct number and phone number please. I am off for the next 5 days so will get someone from the forum team to run tests on your connection/exchange to see what's going on. 

Thanks

Kind Regards,

Mathew_W
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
knowntobe

Thanks, I have just sent the PM

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Mathew_W

[ Edited ]

Excellent, I'll have a look at the fault for you now.

Thanks

Kind Regards,

Mathew_W

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
knowntobe

Great :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Mathew_W

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I've had a look into the issue for you. I can see an intermittent connection, not a serious one but still there. Are you still turning the router off when you are not using it, if so please leave switched on all the time.

I see you have done the speed test on the BT site, it did pass with a result of  1.6mb back on the 1/12/10 just after 6pm. The loss of speed in the peak times is due to network traffic on the line during peak hours, this is stated on the testing I have done and should be on the results you saw. If you retest the speed on the www.speedtester.bt.com site this evening before 6.30pm please(mainly so I can follow this up for you and within peak times) with only one of you online using the connection. I will then check the results for up to date readings. 

Remeber if all 3 of you are online at the same time, then with a speed of 1.6mb, that 1.6mb will be shared out between the 3 of you. Resulting in around 0.5 each.  

Many thanks

Kind Regards,

Mathew_W

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
knowntobe

hi

the router has been left on 24/7 for the last couple of days. When I have done the speed tests with BT they pretty much match the speedtest.net results (they are usually slightly s/lower). This is the same if 1 or all 3 of us are home using the internet. My GF was off work last week, the speed tests were the same consistantcy with 2 online throughout the day as with one.

I will say though, nothing in our household has changed in the last few years, only our ISP, from BT to virgin. On BT we could use the Skyplayer with all 3 online, playing WOW, with no buffering (and BTs vision box). But with virgin, we cant.

With the WOW issue, I dont know if the terrible MS is due to the drop in speed, or the present issues reported with the traffic shaping software.

I'll do the test you requested tonight and post the results, thanks for checking so far, I hope however takes over while you are away works just as hard :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
knowntobe

[ Edited ]

ok I did 3 BT tests, and 3 Speedtest tests. Results are :

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6010 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4166 Kbps
 Additional Information:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1757 Kbps
 Additional Information:

Will post another one in a few hours, just to show more of the evening speeds.

I do note these these are slightly better than the ones from the other days I tracked, not sure why.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
knowntobe

Download speedachieved during the test was - 709 Kbps
 Additional Information:

Please use plain text.