Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
ricky88

Re: Ridiculously slow broadband and very poor customer service

Further update: I am still waiting to hear from Virgin Media - it's been 12 days since the slow speed fault was logged! I've now sent a complaint in the post to Virgin Media - lets see if anything happens from that.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
NittyGritty

the best thing for you guys who still have ongoing problems is to write or contact OFCOM and CISAS as others have said they have gotten out of their contract FOR FREE and moved to a diffrent isp, and guess what no problems with speed whatsoever, i leave you guys to make your own mind up about that 1 lol suffice to say its virgin problem not ur line or equipment you only have to look at posts on these forums, anyway good luck if u choose to move u prob save yourself alot of stress by doing so not to mention phone calls to virgin everytime

Please use plain text.
kc
Fresh as a Daisy
kc

I live in the Scottish Border & have the same problems every night I lose connection at least 3 times, but I have noticed that the service &  problems have detioriated since Virgin & NTL are bed partners, the other night I spent over £6 on my mobile phone trying to sort out a problem.

Please use plain text.
ricky88

Further update: An engineer has finally been booked to come out on Saturday. Hopefully the fault is isolated and fixed very shortly!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
DB83

Yesterday, after weeks of waiting for something to be sorted, I finally had enough.

Rang up VM and ordered my MAC - I actually receieved it this morning which tells me a lot as well that usersare deserting the service faster than rats can...

Of course the nice man on the other end tried to convince me that improvements are on their way. He even went so far to suggest that next monday the improvements will be on line and we should have a better broadband experience.

For me, they have 7 days from monday to convince me that they have done this else after being 12 years as a VM customer I will seriously consider using that MAC that I now have.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
hellopaul

Very poor customer service

I can't complain about my broadband speed, but whenever I call customer service, whichever options I press, I end up hearing some dumb message telling me to switch stuff off and on again then it says "goodbye" and hangs up! I'm trying to log into my virgin media stuff - my connection's FINE!

Please use plain text.
Crafty
joshmans

Re: Very poor customer service

Terrible service.

Just phoned up, and was told to start 2 downloads, at which the download rate was hovering around 840 kb/s, after being told to cancel both downloads halfway the virgin media guy said that we were at 15mb/s... now.. somehow i cant really see how thats possible considering it takes 10 seconds to load up even google, the downloads which we were asked to download were below 1mb/s and speedtest.net also begs to differ.

So what happened to the customer is always right?  Well, the facts are right, and the facts is my current download speed is below 1mb/s certainly not 15mb/s as the virgin media representative stated on the phone.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Boedicia

Ye i got told my download speed is  better than fine. Oh really....then why the **bleep** does it take ages for webpages to load and my latency is rocketing sky high?

Its just a bunch of lies. No point in ringing up, its a waste of time and they lie through their rotten teeth.

Please use plain text.
ricky88

Further update:

The BT engineer came and did a line test (on Saturday) - the line from the property to the exchange is fine. Appears that Virgin Media's equipment at the exchange is the problem.

Virgin Media haven't even had the courtesy to follow up the fault since the engineers visit! I just tried calling technical support and get the message: "I'm sorry we're experiencing technical difficulties, please call back later."

USELESS!

Please use plain text.
Just Joined
garyinash

I live in Derbyshire (DE6) and connection speeds are very poor here too. I also pay for 8MB, but we generally get around 1MB or less and like everyone lese, it drops dramatically at 4.30pm.

I am no techie, but from my conversations with some people that are, I believe this is all down to Virgin taking on too may subscribers for the bandwidth they have available.  I am told it is about something called the 'contention ratio', which is a measure of the number of users that share each modem that Virgin provide.  Many popular ISPs allow more subscribers per modem than is practical if decent speeds are to be maintained, and I believe Virgin have a particularly poor reputation for this.

Interestingly, when you type 'contention ratio' into the online help available on this website, the term is not even recognised.  Says it all really.

I suspect the only solution is to switch ISPs, but before you do, it is probably worth asking any ISP you are thinking of using about the contention ratio they provide.

Please use plain text.