Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
latortilla

Internet keeps cutting out

Hi,

I live in a "broadband down your phoneline" area and have problems with my virgin internet. It regularly keeps cutting out and losing service. Disconnecting then re-connecting fixes the problem for a few minutes then the problem appears again. The problem occurs more frequently when downloading something or streaming video (ie BBC iPlayer is very problematic). The service is basically unuseable for anything that requires a continuous connection.

I have accessed http://192.168.0.1/start.htm and set the connection channel for wireless to "3". I have also turned off UPnP, both doesn't really improve the service.

Is there anything else I can try or do?

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Cennydd_T

Re: Internet keeps cutting out

Hi Latortilla,

Apologies for the poor connection you've had to put up with so far.

I have had a look into your connection history for the connection down the line. It would appear that the connection to your router down the line is very stable as I'm seeing over 200+ hours of connection. This would suggest that the issue is the connection between the router to your devices(laptop, smartphone etc).

Are you only connecting wirelessly? If so its highly likely that it is the wireless connection that is causing the issue.

What router are you currently using?

Either way I would recommend our Remote Assistance where our agents can take over control of your computer remotely and resolve the issue.

If there is anything you are unsure of, or you have a general enquiry, please feel free to send me a private message and I will be glad to assist further.

Regards,

Cen

Cen Tudor
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.
Please use plain text.
Boffin
Lucy_P

Hi Latortilla,

In addition to my colleague Cen's advise, if you are using a black netgear DGN100 router (as a new customer I imagine that you would), the details for accessing the router diagnostics page are printed on a label on the base of the router. Once logged into the router click on the Wireless Settings tab and change the mode setting from 'Up to 154Mbps' to mixed mode g and b. This always goes a long way to making the wireless connection a lot more stable.

Regards,

Lucy.

Lucy Paradice

Hope this helps.

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Aaron_G

Hi latortilla

Just to add further to both Lucy and Cen's advice -- to improve iPlayer performance you can lower the MTU size within the router configuration page.

The MTU size can be found under 'WAN SETUP' which is near the bottom of the navigation pane on the left handside.

Our recommended MTU is 1458, but all lines are different and you may find it works best on one of the following values:

1432, 1400, 1392, 1358, 1332

Cheers

Aaron

Aaron Virgin National

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
latortilla

Dear all,

thank you very much for the help so far!

I will try the g and b settings, as well as experimentinh with Aaron's recommended lines and see if there is improvement.

My router type is a: "Netgear Wireless-N 150 ADLS2 + Modem Router model DGN1000".

Best,

Felix

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Aaron_G

Great...  let us know how you get on, if you need any further support why not try speaking to our Remote Chat support team.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Virgin National

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.