Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
midsummer100

ADSL broadband settings

[ Edited ]

Please can someone tell me the settings I need for my Belkin Router.

As usual virgin.net customer services were as unhelpful as it's possible to be, so in desperation before leaving to go to BT, I am trying an evening of surfing the net to try and find the information I need.

I have been with virgin.net since 2001 and Belkin, under their lifetime warranty, have replaced my 54g router as the power pack failed on my old router.

Now I find the router works fine, the internet works fine, the wireless works fine, EXCEPT after no set period of time, my Belkin 54g router drops off the list of available wireless networks, which is extremely annoying.

I have tried different channels, and the channel is not the problem.  The new router is in exactly the same position as the old router, so I do not believe interference is the probem.  I really really would like to check the settings that virgin.net use for routers, however they refuse to display this informaton on their website - even though that really would be the most helpful thing to do.

So.  On broadband, on a BT line, (no cable where we live and never will be any), to connect to virgin.net

1. do I use PPPoA or PPPoE

2. am I WPA-PSK or WEP or WEP 2

3. are there any other settings anyone can give me that will help me to solve this problem?

I am using Vista SP1 on a laptop.

I would be grateful for any help that anyone can give me.

I have spoken to Belkin customer support in India (useless - not as useless as virgin in South Wales - but almost) and have spoken to Belkin Technical Support Escalations - however, what we'd all like to know is the virgin.net broadband settings for a router not on cable.  Why the information is so top secret, I have no idea.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Sololobo

Re: ADSL broadband settings

1) See here:- http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/General-broadband-questions/New-VM-customer-DSL-blinking-no-inte... for router settings.

2) See here:- http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless/Wireless-Set-up-problem/m-p/12941#M551 for info on wireless security.

3) Change your router broadcast channel to a number at least three away from other networks.

--------------------
I used to answer questions, but now I question instead. Guess why.
I'm not paranoid, they are watching.
Kudos: Users giveth and VM taketh away.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
midsummer100

Hi Sololobo.

Thanks for that. Top information.

I have now checked 1 and 2 and my settings are correct.

I'm confused by 3.  What other networks? Do you mean internet networks? Or other types of network?  I only have 1 internet network and my neighbours are either on wireless security enabled BT or Sky.

Perhaps you can help again?

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Sololobo

When connecting wirelessly your connection software will show all available networks in range, you then select which network to connect to and enter the appropriate passkey, unless you have chosen to connect to a specific network automatically of course.

If several networks are broadcasting on or near the same channel you may get interference on your wireless signal. (You may also get interference from cordless telephones, baby monitors and microwave ovens for example.)

The connection software I use shows all available wireless networks, along with the network name, signal strength, security protocol used, radio type (802.11b/g/n) and SSID and the channel used.

I ensure that the channel my router is using is at least 3 numbers away from any other wireless broadcast, eg:

Network Name     Signal Strength     Security Type     Radio Type     SSID              Channel

Netgear                4                           Unsecured         802.11g         Netgear          6

D-Link                   4                           WPA2-PSK         802.11n         D-Link             1

TP-LINK                 3                           WEP                  802.11g         TP-LINK          4

My Router            5                           WPA2-PSK         802.11n         My Network    9 set manually

In the above scenario, under Wireless > Channel and SSID within myrouter settings, I have manually selected the channel as 9 to avoid interference from the Netgear wireless source. I could also have selected channels 10-13.

Selecting channels 2,3,5,7 and 8 may allow interference from the other wireless sources.

I hope this clarifies things for you :smileyhappy:

--------------------
I used to answer questions, but now I question instead. Guess why.
I'm not paranoid, they are watching.
Kudos: Users giveth and VM taketh away.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
midsummer100

[ Edited ]

Hi Sololobo

Thanks for that.

OK. So it's other people's networks I have to consider.

Windows (Vista SP1) doesn't tell me which channel my neighbours are using. 

I've always used 11.  If I put it to auto it selects 6 automatically as the strongest signal.

I have it manually set to 11 currently.

The router is situated where it's always been and where it has to be as there is only one main bt socket into the house.  This is by the patio windows on the outside of the house, no where near the kitchen.

There is a cordless phone there, however, that has always been there and has never caused a problem before.  It has to be there because that is the main bt socket into the house and the phone has to be connected somewhere!

So I guess the question here now is, how do I find out which channel my neighbours are using?

Or could it be some other reason why my connection disappears off the list of available wireless networks?

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.