Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Emerging Talent
Gwizz27
Helpful Answer

Virgin media Cloud - internet connection unusable whilst running

I think there may be a bug in either software for Vm cloud or the superhub 2. 

When my VM cloud is backing up through windows program (win8) through superhub 2 my internet is unusable. Speed tests on other devices (iphone) of around 0.05Mb, pings of 2000k. Pages not downloading without huge wait. 

Same on all attached devices whilst backing up. 

If i stop the program updating internet returns to normal functionality. 

didn't have the problem when uploading 60gb to Justcloud, or old VM backup service. 

Anyone have any ideas why it might be doing this. 

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Re: Virgin media Cloud - internet connection unusable whilst running

It's your upload being caned with large amounts of data

And your probably hitting traffic management
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Gwizz27

This is not traffic management. 

If i close the application then my internet connectivity returns to normal, if this were traffic management this would not happen, and it would not explain the very high pings.   With it running, i get pings of over 1000 to google. Something is very wrong. It affects all devices connected to router not just pc running the programme. but normal service resumes as soon as the process is stopped. 

This was not a problem with other backup services i have used, my full upload bandwidth 3mb is not being utilised, some other glitch is at work. 

I am currently unable to login to Virgin Media Cloud after uninstalling and re installing. I have tried to reset my password and receive an email but when i put new password, i go to an operation failed page, this has a

happened for over 24hrs now.

Please can someone direct me to help directly for Virgin Media Cloud service ?? thanks

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
John_G

Hi Gwizz27,

I've checked your connection and can find no issues there. Power levels, SNR and utilisation are all fine. I agree this is unlikely to be traffic management as this would last an hour and not stop when you stop the program. Could you run cloud and browse then check task manager on your computer to see how much of the CPU the cloud is taking up?

John
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Gwizz27 wrote:

I think there may be a bug in either software for Vm cloud or the superhub 2. 

When my VM cloud is backing up through windows program (win8) through superhub 2 my internet is unusable. Speed tests on other devices (iphone) of around 0.05Mb, pings of 2000k. Pages not downloading without huge wait. 

Same on all attached devices whilst backing up. 

If i stop the program updating internet returns to normal functionality. 

didn't have the problem when uploading 60gb to Justcloud, or old VM backup service

Anyone have any ideas why it might be doing this. 

Can't speak for Justcloud but the old VM backup and storage only uploaded at a fraction of the available bandwidth.

Virginmedia Cloud uploads using ALL the upstream bandwidth.  Unsurprisingly this will have an effect on normal internet usage and also pings.

The fact that it uses all bandwidth was questioned during the trial.  I did suggest that they put in tools allowing you to limit the upload rate or at least be able to schedule when the uploads take place.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Gwizz27

John_G wrote:

Hi Gwizz27,

I've checked your connection and can find no issues there. Power levels, SNR and utilisation are all fine. I agree this is unlikely to be traffic management as this would last an hour and not stop when you stop the program. Could you run cloud and browse then check task manager on your computer to see how much of the CPU the cloud is taking up?

i have uninstalled the program and reinstalled before reading your post. It now seems to be functioning perfectly and not disrupting the internet connection. 

It is currently using about 4.5% of cpu 

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Gwizz27

[ Edited ]

Can't speak for Justcloud but the old VM backup and storage only uploaded at a fraction of the available bandwidth.

Virginmedia Cloud uploads using ALL the upstream bandwidth.  Unsurprisingly this will have an effect on normal internet usage and also pings.

The fact that it uses all bandwidth was questioned during the trial.  I did suggest that they put in tools allowing you to limit the upload rate or at least be able to schedule when the uploads take place.

Ravenstar68

Yes it does seem that it is just related to the program uploading flat out. 

The program must have been stuck uploading a massive file for ages. There seems to be no way of finding out which file its uploading unless im being really thick. The GUI is awful. The only way you can tell the upload speed is to check Task manger from what i can see. 
I un and reinstalled the program and started backing up again from fresh all was fine and running absolutely fine for a while, probably as the program was uploading all the small files, i checked and task manager was showing less that 1mb on upload. 

Then the return of the issue, the pages won't load so i tested ping quickly, (1000ms+) checked task manager and yep it is uploading at 3Mb which is my max traffic rate. 
I cannot echo this point enough that there should be some tools to limit the upload speed as this will cause a lot of people a lot of headaches i think. 

The internet connection is unusable when this program is on, and im not exaggerating. 

Should the router not be able to interrupt the process and get information flowing is there anything that can be done to enable this?? any serious techies feel free to explain. 

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Use a free and faster, better service like OneDrive
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.